Friday 21 March 2014

Inquiring into my Teaching Practice

If improving outcomes for students is not the purpose of professional learning,... teachers are likely to default to the position that gathering information about students is about students and not about teaching or themselves as professionals.


Evidence about students' engagement, learning and well being needs to be:
  • High quality
  • Fit for purpose
  • Valid
  • Reliable

In relation to this boy's writing inquiry- what is engagement?
  • That the boys want to come to the workshop?
  • That they want to write more?
  • Do they want to write on a device?
  • Are they writing more compound sentence?
  • Is their handwriting neater?
Best when done in collaboration with others so that...

  • There is someone to challenge my assumptions.
  • There are others to feed in their opinions.
  • I can get/share resources with others.
I have to think of not only the students learning but also my learning.

Teaching developing learning goals- questions

  • What knowledge, skills and attitudes do I, as teachers need to meet the needs of our students?
  • How I have contributed to existing outcomes?
  • In what areas and with whom am I effective and why?
  • In what areas and with whom am I less effective and why?
  • What do we already know that I can use to promote valued outcomes?
  • What do I need to know about to promote these outcomes and waht are my learning goals?
  • What sources/knowledge can I use?

So am I asking enough powerful questions of myself as a teacher?


Realizing the Power of Professional Learning - Extending Educational Horizons

Timperley pg 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi team

Your suggestions and feedback are very much appreciated.